Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Beatfreakz, Kate



This is the Beatfreakz, who were contestants on America's Best Dance Crew in Season 2. I chose this because first, I was curious what people think of this show-- does the hip-hop dance community like this show because it's good exposure for the dance genre or is it disliked because it's over-commercialized?

I also chose this because I like the dance. I think the beginning choreography is fun and very well executed. I like the minute, precise moves where they're isolating particular muscles with each move. They do it so well. Plus, I really like the Michael Jackson tribute with the pelvis action.

I don't know how well-received this show is among authentic hip-hop dancers, but I think its fun to watch, and these girls are incredible. I think another reason I like them is because the emphasis is on their dance moves, not their bodies. They're not scantily clad, and they're not objectifying themselves. They're great dancers, and that's what you pay attention to.

3 comments:

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

Liked the Popping and locking and the crazy mirror image they were goin for. But i don't think they really got it. There were two many people off rhythm for this to work the way it was intended to.

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

This is Bill btw

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

Im going to have to respectfully disagree and say that I thought that the performance was quite clean when the details of thier movements are really taken into account. These girls show that they have put in some serious hours of practice to be able to do the gymnastics and the breaking moves. I think that this show is definitely not good for street credibility but is pretty interesing to watch and offers a venue for this genre to be viewed.

Victoria