Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Haitian Kompa Breakdance Popping by Robot Scorpion



I picked this video as the stage was interesting in its own right, standing out from the competition / club compilations. What I enjoyed most about this performance was his use of clothing as props. His popping style is quite comical with a cartoon like awkwardness. His style is also quite diverse, the variety of speed and the timing of transitions never seemed repetitive. Given his stage, I think he made a good use of the space provided. It is clear that he and his audience are having a good-time, which only adds to the performance. Aside from influences I do not see anything that is clearly Breakdancing (aside from the last handstand), as the name implies, so it is possible this performer is more diverse then the video lets on. His showmanship and fluid technical ability really shine through in such an open, unnatural dance setting. Clearly this style has transcend its origins in the club to a performance art in its own right. What I have found I enjoy most about popping is the comedy.

-Tongret

2 comments:

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

This was probably the most entertaining popping I have ever seen! He is truly a performer even if he doesn't believe so! His use of comedy really helps to broaden the scope of breakdance. He really worked his performance space and all the props that he had. This video definitely helped me to understand popping more. His flow being very smooth also helped the performance.

Julie Poeppelman

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

This entire video was excellent! I loved the music that accompanied the dancing because it is not a song that one would tend to associate with hip hop. I thought it was very interesting that while he was dancing, you could definately see a bit of a latin twist in it with the way he could move his hips. His timing was dead on throughout but most importantly, it was obvious he was having fun with it, something that I believe is most important when putting on a performance.

-Kim Wallis