Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson's Legendary Motown Performance - Stacy McFarland



I had to choose Michael Jackson's extremely famous Motown performance of Billie Jean. I am one of the biggest MJ fans and I could watch this over and over and over. This performance is famous completely for his dancing, even being an Emmy-nominated performance.
Although Michael is named the King of Pop, his dancing has been extremely influential in every style of dance. Some of his earlier albums included a lot of jazz-style along with R&B and pop. I realize this is not exactly the hip-hop dancing that we have been studying, but I see a lot of moves used today that are based off of his dancing. His signature moves are still emulated today and I find myself considering him as his own popular style of dance in himself. I don't know anyone that can dance and perform for a crowd like he did and have everyone trying his moves. I love this performance (and it was also one of which made his moonwalk famous :)
I also hear a lot from hip-hop artists and artists of other styles of music crediting Michael for inspiring them in what they do as well.

8 comments:

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

Lashae Howard- I completely agree. MJ is a great performer and you can see his influence all over the hip-hop world. I can think of several artist who have been influenced by MJ's dancing, including Usher, Ciara, Chris Brown, etc. He proves hip-hop dancing has many different styles and he demonstrates why emotion is so important in dancing. This video does a great job at demonstrating his true talent and the control he has over his movements, which prove he is the greatest performer!

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

Kate Nelson

I was glad to see someone post a MJ video. When I was looking for videos, I ended up watching clip after clip of Michael. He's absolutely mesmerizing. And I agree that though he may not technically be considered hip-hop, his dance has influenced the hip hop world hugely. I love the incredible way he can isolate particular parts of his body in a dance move, exhibiting exacting, tiny movements. On the other hand, his can be amazingly fluid as well. I really think his dance talent is unmatched.

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

Michael Jackson's dance is godly. His dance is one of the original foundations of hip hop. MJ invented and coined many of the biggest moves of hip hop.
The video shows some of this great dance moves where his body movements just flows with the music. He uses the entire stage during his performance and is able to simultaneously sing as well as dance. To me, this makes him one of the top performers of music of all times.

Zach Wang

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

I still can't believe he was the first to come up with the Moon-walk. But so many other artist do the Moon-walk, but in different ways. He truly is/was a great dancer who inspired people all around the world.

-Taehee

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

I still find myself watching MJ'S videos and man was he so smooth, precise and clean. I get excited just watching the choreography, can't possibly imagine how it would've been to see him peform live. It's hard to believe he's gone but in a way he will always live through the countless artists he influenced not just in music and dance but movies and sports. My fave video would have to be between thriller, smooth criminal and remember the time by the way, which all had crazy choreography thats still seen today. I swear MJ was, is and will always be a beast! Untouchable.. -Sade

OSU Dance 201.06- Hip Hop said...

The Moon walk was an amazinbg dance concept when I was younger. It was so fluid and I remember trying to replicate it over and over, to no avail (without lifting my feet). Seeing how everyone does the moonwalk and other dances and moves originated by Michael it's easy to see that Michael had a deep influence on hip hop dance.

Erica Perkins