Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hip hop & Christianity

I posted this video because I am a Christian worship dancer. Currently the focus of our dance ministry is liturgical, ballet and jazz. I mentioned using hip hop dance as a means to minister to this generation and I have been met with some opposition. The position of some other Christians has been that the hip hop culture should have no voice in the church. I believe that some are afraid of this style of dance and that it is possible to dance the style without embracing all that the "culture" embodies. In other words,use some of the movements and exclude those that may tend to be seen as suggestive. The other challenge is that when Christians attempt to emulate hip hop or rap, for lack of a better term, it is often Mickey Mouse. The passion is lacking. So, while the lyrics or movements may be in line with scripture, it is written off by those recognizing the ingenuiness of it. I'm not suggesting that the church emulate "the world" but rather we speak the language necessary to reach "the world." I think the Chrisitian dancers in this video do a wonderful job of representing Christ, dancing with passion and good technique without conforming. I would love to hear your comments! Thanks. -Jessica Board



No comments: